Part 1 - General
A. Section Includes: Individual panel aluminum and glass door system, including aluminum frame, tracks, threshold, sliding panels, swing panels, sliding panels with incorporated swing panels, stacking bays, sliding/swinging and locking hardware, weather stripping, glass and glazing; designed to provide an opening glass wall or storefront, with sizes and configurations as shown on drawings and specified herein, with the HSW60 NanaWall, the Thermally Broken Aluminum Framed Single Track Sliding System as supplied by NanaWall Systems, Inc.
A. American Architectural Manufacturers Association (AAMA):
1. AAMA 611, Voluntary Specification for Anodized Architectural Aluminum.
2. AAMA 2604, Voluntary Specifications, Performance Requirements and Test Procedures for Pigmented Organic Coatings on Aluminum Extrusions and Panels.
3. AAMA 1303.5, Voluntary Specifications for Forced Entry Resistant Aluminum Sliding Glass Doors.
4. AAMA 920, Operation / Cycling Performance.
B. American National Standards Institute (ANSI):
1. ANSI Z97.1, Safety Performance Specifications and Methods of Test for Safety Glazing Material Used In Buildings.
C. American Society for Testing and Materials(ASTM):
1. ASTM E 283, Test Method for Rate of Air Leakage through Exterior Windows, Curtain Walls, and Doors by Uniform Static Air Pressure Difference.
2. ASTM E 330, Test Method for Structural Performance of Exterior Windows, Curtain Walls, and Doors by Uniform Static Air Pressure Difference.
3. ASTM E 547, Test Method for Water Penetration of Exterior Windows, Curtain Walls, and Doors by Cyclic Static Air Pressure Differential.
D. Consumer Product Safety Commission (CPSC):
1. CPSC 16CFR-1201, Safety Standard for Architectural Glazing Materials.
E. National Fenestration Rating Council (NFRC):
1. NFRC 100, Procedure for Determining Fenestration Product Thermal Materials.
2. NFRC 200, Procedure for Determining Solar Heat Gain Coefficient.
A. Product Drawings: Indicate dimensioning, configuration, swing panels, stacking bay layout, typical head jamb, side jambs and sill details, type of glazing material and handle height.
B. Product Data: Manufacturer’s literature including independently tested data listing performance criteria and Owner’s Manual with installation instructions.
C. Contract Closeout Submittal: Submit Owner’s Manual from manufacturer. Identify with project name, location and completion date, and type and size of unit installed.
1.04 Quality Assurance
A. Manufacturer: Provide complete, precision built, engineered, pre-fitted unit by a single source manufacturer with at least 25 years experience in the sale of folding/sliding door systems for large openings in the North American market.
1. The manufacturer must have a quality management system registration to the ISO 9001:2008 standard.
2. The manufacturer must have an environmental management system registration to the ISO 14001: 2005 standard.
B. Performance Requirements: Provide from manufacturer that has independently tested typical units with the following minimum results:
1. Air Infiltration: Provide system with maximum air leakage of 0.30 cfm/sq ft when tested according to ASTM E283 at a static air pressure difference of 1.6 psf(75Pa).
2.Water Penetration under Static Pressure:
a. Provide system with a saddle sill that does not evidence water penetration when tested according to ASTM E331 and ASTM E547 at a static air pressure difference of 0 psf (0 Pa).
b. Provide system with a saddle sill with typical field installed weepholes and drainage by others from the outer channel in the sill (see drainage instructions from NanaWall) that do not evidence water penetration when tested according to ASTM E331 and ASTME547 at a static air pressure difference of2.92 psf(140 Pa).
c. Provide system with a saddle sill with typical field installed weep holes and drainage by others from both the inner and the outer channel in the sill(see drainage instructions from NanaWall) that do not evidence water penetration when tested according to ASTM E331 and ASTM E547 at a static air pressure difference of 6 psf (290 Pa).
3.StructuralTestPerformance:Provide system that when tested according to ASTM E330 at 150%of positive and negative design pressures with panel sizes of 3'1" wide and 9'5"high achieved a DP rating of+/- 45psf (+/-2,160 Pa).
4. Forced Entry Resistance: Provide system that when tested according to ASTM F842 Grade40, there was no entry.
5.Operation/ Cycling Performance of incorporated swing panel: Provide system that when tested according to AAMA 920, there was no failure after 500,000 cycles (requirement for AW Performance Class).
SPECIFIER'S NOTE: Water penetration testing results can only be applicable if the unit matches the test units in the type of sill used. Structural load testing results are only applicable for the test unit size and type of locking used on the test unit.(Comparative analysis charts for by manufacturer shows which panel sizes (if any) would meet the structural loading design pressures specifically required for the project. Check for limitations on the use of these charts in the jurisdiction of the project). Forced entry testing results are only applicable for the test unit type of locking. See manufacturer’s latest published data.
C. Thermal Performance U value: Unit to be rated, certified and labeled in accordance with NFRC 100, with values shown in manufacturer's latest published data for the glazing and sill specified.
D. Solar Heat Gain Coefficient: Unit to be rated, certified and labeled in accordance with NFRC 200, with values shown in manufacturer's latest published data for the glazing and sill specified.
E. Installer Qualifications: Installer experienced in the installation of manufacturer’s products or other similar products for large openings. Installer to provide reference list of at least 3 projects of similar scale and complexity successfully completed in the last 3 years.
A. Provide manufacturer’s standard warranty against defects in materials and workmanship.
B. Warranty Period: Ten years for roller and for seal failure of insulated glass supplied. For all other components, one year(two years if unit is installed by manufacturers certified trained installer) from date of delivery by manufacturer.
1.06 Site Conditions, Delivery, Storage and Handling
A. In addition to general delivery, storage and handling requirements specified in Section 01600, comply with the following:
1. Deliver materials to job site in sealed, unopened cartons or crates. Protect units from damage. Store material under cover, protected from weather and construction activities.
Part 2 -Products
A. NANA WALL SYSTEMS,INC.
100 Meadowcreek Drive Suite #250
Corte Madera, CA 94925
Toll Free: (800) 873-5673
Fax: (415) 383-0312
A. Frames and Panels: From manufacturer’s standard profiles, provide head tracks, stacking bays, side jambs, sliding panels, swing panels attached to side jamb, and sliding panels with incorporated swing panels with dimensions shown on drawings.
1.Provide clear anodized aluminum head track [OR aluminum head track with aluminum covers on both sides]
2. Provide panels with:
Standard one lite
[OR with horizontal mullion(s) at specified height(s) from the bottom of the panel]
[OR with simulated divided lites in pattern as shown on drawings].
3. Provide standard bottom rail [OR manufacturer’s standard kickplate with height specified].
4. Aluminum Extrusion: Extrusions with nominal thickness of .078” (2.0 mm). Alloy specified as AIMgSi0.5 with strength rated as 6063-T5 or F-22 (European standard). Anodized conforming to AAMA 611, powder coated conforming to AAMA 2604.
5. Panels thermally broken with 7/8” (22 mm) Polyamide plastic reinforced with glass fibers. Standard aluminum head jamb [OR standard aluminum head jamb with cover plates on both sides].Polyamide plastic less than 7/8” (22 mm) wide or pour and de-bridge thermal break will not be accepted.
6. Aluminum Finish:
Select from NanaWall Powder Coating Finish Chart of 50 standard colors
[OR clear anodized]
[OR select from range of RAL high gloss powder coated finishes available from manufacturer]
[OR select from range of RAL matte powder coated finishes available from manufacturer]
[OR custom finish].
Same [OR different] finishes on inside and outside.
1. All glass to comply with safety glazing requirements ofANSIZ97.1 and CPSC 16CFR 1201. Provide manufacturer’s standard glass with dry glazing with glass stops on the inside only:
Double insulating clear safety glass with either total thickness of15/16" (24 mm) with each pane being 5/32" (4 mm) thick or total thickness of 1 1/8" (28 mm) with each pane being 1/4” (6 mm)thick depending on panel size.
[OR Double insulating Low-E argon fill safety glass with either total thickness of 15/16" (24 mm) with each pane being 5/32"(4 mm) thick or total thickness of 1 1/8" (28mm) with each pane being 1/4"(6 mm) thick depending on panel size]
[OR 1/4” (6 mm)tempered]
[OR 1 7/16” (36 mm) triple insulating Low E argon fill safety glass composed of 3 panes of 5/32” (4 mm) glass]
[OR 1 1/2” (38mm) double insulating safety with Heat Mirror foil composed of 2 panes of 1/4” (6 mm) glass]
[OR other glass available from manufacturer, including glass with other total thickness]
2. Provide manufacturer’s standard silver gray finish [OR dark bronze] glass spacers. Provide without capillary tubes [OR with capillary tubes].
C. Locking Hardware and Handles:
1. Main entry panel:
On the main entry panel(s) for models with swing panel(s), provide manufacturer’s standard lever handles on the inside and outside and a Schlage compatible lock set with a lockable latch and multi-point locking with a dead bolt and rods at the top and bottom. Rods to be concealed and not edge mounted. After turn of key or thumbturn, depression of handles withdraws latch. Lifting of handles engages rods and turn of key or thumb turn engages deadbolt and operates lock. If there are inactive swing panels, provide matching dummy lever handles on both sides and concealed flush bolts that operates the rods at the top and the bottom.
Stainless steel lever handles in a titanium black finish
[OR stainless steel lever handles in a brushed satin finish]
[OR oil rubbed bronze solid brass lever handles]
[OR satin nickel solid brass lever handles]
[OR white solid brass lever handles]
[OR other compatible handles]
[OR on the main entry panel(s) for models with swing panel, provide manufacturer’s push/pull handles with separate lock set and dead bolt]
Push-pull handles in a brown nylon finish
[OR push-pull handles in a gray nylon finish]
[OR push-pull handles in a white nylon finish]
[OR push-pull handles in brushed stainless steel finish]
[OR other compatible handles
SPECIFIER’S NOTE: This option is recommended with a door closer.]
[OR on the main entry panel(s) for models with a swing panel(s), no hardware or locking to be provided by the manufacturer, but with field installed panic device by others.]
[OR on the sliding panel to be opened first for models without a swing panel, provide manufacturer’s standard L-shaped handle on the inside, flat handle on the outside and lock set with profile cylinder. Operation of lock set is by turn of key from the outside and with a thumbturn from the inside with a two point locking hardware operated by180º turn of the handle.]
Stainless steel L shaped handles in a titanium black finish
[OR stainless steel L shaped handles in a brushed satin finish]
[OR L shaped handles in a brown nylon finish]
[OR L shaped handles in a gray nylon finish]
[OR L shaped handles in a white nylon finish]
[OR other compatible handles]
[OR on the sliding panel to be opened first for models without a swing panel, provide manufacturer’s standard flat handle on the inside and on the outside and a lock set with a profile cylinder. Operation of lock set is by turn of key from the outside and from the inside with a two point locking hardware operated by 180º turn of the handle.
SPECIFIER’S NOTE: Key operation from the inside may not meet egress requirements.]
[OR on main entry panel, provide manufacturer’s standard flat handle on inside only with concealed two point locking hardware operated by 180º turn of handle.
SPECIFIER’S NOTE: Note that with this option, the main entry panel is operable from inside only and that there is no latch.]
2. On all other secondary panels, provide manufacturer’s standard flat handles [OR removable custodial handles] and concealed two point locking hardware operated by 180ºturn of handle. Face applied flush bolt locking will not be allowed.
3. Flat handle finish:
Stainless steel in a titanium black finish
[OR stainless steel in a brushed satin finish]
[OR closest powder coat match to aluminum profile finish]
4. Provide handle height centered at 41 3/8’ [OR as specified] from bottom of panel.
5. Aluminum locking rods with standard fiber glass reinforced polyamide end caps at top and bottom. Rods to have a stroke of15/16” (24 mm).
6. If there are more than one profile cylinder on the units for a project, keyed alike [OR keyed differently].
7. For any incorporated swing panel, provide crank handle stored in flap on panel stile to convert sliding panel to a swing panel and vice versa. Conversion Box located on upper arm or top rail to be polyamide in silver gray finish. If swing door to frame fixing hardware for operation of the incorporated door is above 7'0" provide with an integrated pole for single person operation. Operation above 7'0" should be easy to complete and not require additional mean to reach the fixing / locking mechanism other than the provided pole.
8. To ensure ease of operation and rigid security, only geared positive attachment to affix the swing door to the frame for incorporated swing doors will be accepted.
9. For pinch resistance, only rounded extrusions on the pivot side of incorporated swing panels are allowed.
D. Sliding & Swinging Hardware: Provide manufacturer’s standard hardware.
1. For each sliding panel, provide 2 two-three wheeled, sintered bronze (oil impregnated) unidirectional sliding panel carriers with a one wheeled, Polyamide guide roller that are attached to the panels with stainless steel rods. Maximum carrying capacity of two carriers on a panel to be 330 lbs (150 kgs).
2. Provide on all four corners of sliding panels and incorporated swing panels, thermally broken, die cast zinc multi-functional corner fittings with carrier connectors, male and female locking receptacles, hinges and hinge pins as required. Finish: Powder coated, closest match to finish of frame and panels.
SPECIFIER’S NOTE: Note that as corner connectors are only available in powder coated finishes, if anodized panel and frame finishes are selected, there may be aesthetic issues.
3. Provide on the pivot side corner of the upper arm of the top rail of the incorporated swing panel a circular cover in polyamide with a silver gray finish.
4. Adjustment: Provide system capable of specified amount of adjustments without removing panels from tracks.
E. Other Components:
1. Threshold: Provide thermally broken aluminum
Clear anodized flush sill
[OR bronze anodized flush sill]
[OR clear anodized Low Profile Saddle Sill]
[OR bronze anodized Low profile Saddle Sill]
[OR clear anodized Surface Mounted Interior Sill (not thermally broken)]
[OR bronze anodized Surface Mounted Interior Sill (not thermally broken)]
[OR no sill but with adjustable clear anodized floor sockets].
2. Weather stripping: Provide manufacturer’s standard double layer APTK at both the inner and outer edge of door panels or on frame for vertical sealing between panels and between panels and frame. Provide brush seals with flexible plastic web for all horizontal sealing.Single layer weather stripping will not be allowed.
3. Provide machine screws for connecting frame components.
A. Use extruded aluminum frame and panel profiles, corner connectors and hinges, sliding hardware, locking hardware and handles, glass and glazing and weather stripping as specified herein to make a sliding glass wall. Factory pre-assemble as is standard for manufacturer and ship with all components and installation instructions.
B. Sizes and Configurations: See drawings for selected number and size of panels, location of swing panels, and location of tracks and stacking bays.
2.04 Accessories (Edit for Project Requirements.)
A. Provide other side lites, transoms, corner posts, or single or double doors as per drawings provided.
B. Provide the NanaScreen, a series of vertical, collapsible, pleated screen panels. Provide pleated screen material with floor tracking chain with 1/4” (5 mm) floor track. See drawings for selected number of panels and configuration.
Provide aluminum top track, side jambs, and vertical struts:
White powder coated
[OR clear anodized]
[OR dark bronze anodized]
[OR select from range of RAL powder coated finishes available from manufacturer]
NanaScreen installation within opening [OR extended beyond opening]
Part 3 - Execution
A. Because of the large dimensions involved and the weight and movement of the panels, verify the structural integrity of the header such that the maximum deflection with live and loads is limited to be the lesser of L/720 of the span and 1/4” (6mm). Similar structural support is needed for the stacking bay(s) and any upper track leading to it. Structural support for lateral loads such as wind load must be provided.
It is recommended that all building dead loads be applied to the header prior to installing the NanaWall. If so and if a reasonable amount of time has been allowed for the effect of this dead load on the header, then only the building's live load can be used to meet the above requirements of L/720 or 1/4” (6 mm). If not, both the dead and live loads need to be considered.
B. Examine surfaces of openings and verify dimensions; verify rough openings are level, plumb, and square, with no unevenness, bowing, or bumps on floor.
C. Installation of units constitutes acceptance of existing conditions.
A. Install frame in accordance with manufacturer’s recommendations and installation Instructions. Properly flash and waterproof around the perimeter of the opening.
B. Installer to provide anchorage devices and to securely and rigidly fit frame in place, absolutely level, straight, plumb and square. Install frame in proper elevation, plane and location, and in proper alignment with other work.
C. If necessary, provide drain connections from lower track.
D. Install panels, handles and lock set in accordance with manufacturer’s recommendations and installation instructions.
E. If necessary, adjust hardware for proper operation.
End of Section
Nana Wall Systems, Inc. takes no responsibility for product selection or application, including, but not limited to, compliance with building codes, safety codes, laws, or fitness for a particular purpose. The guide specifications is not intended to be verbatim as a project specification without appropriate modifications for the specific use intended and the particular requirements of a specific construction project.